Wednesday 10 March 2021

Cooks Cove and the Earthquake

 Cooks Cove walk and the Earthquake

I woke up to a fresh start ready for Cooks Cove walk. I had packed my bag the day before so I could get to school nice and early. I had already experienced the 4 times and so knew what to pack.


My class and I had been put into groups to drive, Then we would change groups for the walk. We gathered at the bottom of the hill. Once we were in our groups we lined up in a single file with our parent Lee at the back.  The reason why we did this walk was because we were training for Camp. Koka Rosie and Koka Nagrie said that Cooks Cove was similar to the walks up at camp.


On the walk me and Kale’a were yapping away about the steep drop at our feet. By half way all the mussels in our bodies were aching and pleading to stop and rest. But with our cherreyness and Lee’s jokes it kept us going. As we past we thought if we were mini pixies then we could live in the nooks and crannies and all the possible places, Then, our thoughts were interrupted by the sound of gasping and hushing me and kale’a hurried forward to see a tiny morepork staring down at us with beady eyes. But the kids in front of us got louder and the morepork flew away.


With great pride we walked to the end feelling happy. Then we got to the cove, It had a big dotted smiley face engraved into it. It was high tide, so there was no going for and explore along the dry powdery rocks.


That night I was woke up. It was about 2 in the morning and I remembered about the morepork. Just as I was about to doze off I was startled by tremendous shaking . I called out to mum but she was already ready. She leaped out of bed and yanked clem up. All my nerves were feeling like they could pop out of my bodie. After it had gone mum raced to the bed grabbed a blanket and a sleeping bag and raced to our car with us tailing close behind. When we got in the car mum explained that there was a warning called long and strong be gone. We evacuated to Wheatstone hill about 90 other cars were up there(luckily we were one of the first ones up there). After 4 hours up on the hill we headed back down(there was still cars arriving) When we were at home we were going to go back to sleep when the Tsunami warning went off again. Oh what a night!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cornelia your blog was great but there were a few mistake in it but it was still great.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hey Cornelia your blog was great but there were a few mistakes in it but it was still great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about